Thursday, January 5, 2012

Disgruntled Voters Unite

When someone looks for a job for a long time and can’t find a decent one and they give up and quit looking, the're referred to as a discouraged worker. Well, I’m pretty much a discouraged voter. I would like to vote for someone but I can’t really stomach any of the horses in the race.

I didn’t vote for a long time. Not counting the last election, the last guy I voted for president was Barry Commoner and the only thing I knew about him he was an ecologist. It’s very discouraging when all you have to go on is talking heads reporting on which horse is in the lead and which one was bringing up the rear. I used to say I was voting no.

Then last time along comes this guy making promises sounding like what I’ve been waiting to hear for a long time. I don’t know? Maybe it wasn’t his fault, not all of it, maybe not even most of it. It’s not like I was expecting a lot. But I did expect something different. That’s what was promised, right? Well, we got change all right. It got worse. A lot worse. It’s like a bad SNL comedy sketch.

Now, before all you on the right get ahead of yourselves, the change I was looking for was for somebody to stand up and start telling the truth, someone concerned more about fixing the rather significant problems we face as a country and as a world more than they care about getting elected, reelected, padding their pockets, or spouting some BS from one party line or the other. But all we get is spin. So maybe no was the right vote to begin with? The problem is politicians either aren’t getting the message or, more likely, they know exactly what the country thinks and they’re putting their spin on the fact that less than half the country doesn’t bother.

A side note here to the media; you have been acting like total chicken shits. Quit acting like some of the whacked ideas out there have some kind of validity. Go after real stories. Let us know what these guys really believe and if the record is in line with their claims. Quit being so politically correct and report the damn news.

So, anyway, what I propose is a vote that counts, that’s heard loud and clear, that these jokers can’t talk their way out of. I’m talking about a vote of no. Say no to the idea we’re forced to choose one side of the coin or the other. Say no to the idea the more money and power you have the more right you have to speak and be heard. Say no to the idea that to be president you only have to want it bad enough and come up with enough money to buy it.

To that end, I declare I am starting the party of no. No more bull. No more super-pacs. No more influence peddling. No more business as usual. Vote no and make your no finally count.

No comments: